1 Queen Street / 2 King Streeet

The house with no name but two addresses, achieved by various building works over the centuries, No. 1 Queen St/No.2 King St is perhaps the most extensively researched and excavated building in Emsworth, bar the Roman Villa. The owners, founder members of EM&HT, and the Museum Archivists dedicated over 25 years to it. The result is a vast record of the ownership of a building and copious other information, gathered by good old-fashioned legwork since much of the exercise predates the advent of the computer and genealogy packages.

 

1 Queen Street

1 Queen Street

2 King Street

2 King Street

Among the discoveries there were two notable finds, one of which has been placed in the Museum on extended loan, and we are extremely grateful to receive it. This find was of two C18th tricorn hats. In good condition one is a scarcity, but having two is virtually unique. The hats, along with other finds, can be seen in the permanent display area of the Archive Room. The second significant find was of a child’s shoe discovered under a windowsill. It is believed that shoes were placed in this way as a good luck or fertility symbol.

Of the many items in the property notes we select two snippets that appeal. The first is hand written on a small yellow post-it attached to the inside of a greetings card. It states

PC Sid Joyce lived at 2 King St when he was a single man c.1895. Hence it was still a County Police Office.


It raises the question of what is the history of the Police Service in the Emsworth locality and the promise of a rich vein of research. Such is the progress of technology that much information could be unearthed with the use of one of the modern day search packages, particularly in this case, one would guess, the newspaper archive.

Key DatesOccupier/Function
1831 Wm. & Thos. Warne: Painters, plumbers, glaziers. TD
1838 Owner: Wm.Davis; Occupant: Widow Warne T517
1841-71 Elizabeth Warne, painter.
1881 (1 QS) Albert Apps.(2 KS) George Apps C
1891 (1QS), Albert Apps; (2KS) Occupier: PC Alfred Weston, C
1902 Inspector of Nuisances, Warblington UDC, gives notice to owners to put houses in proper sanitary repair. HRO, WUDC
1914 Owner/occupier Arthur Arter. RB, HRO

The second item we pick out is that in 1902 the property was the subject of a complaint by the Inspector of Nuisances the Warblington UDC, requiring the owner to put the property in proper sanitary repair. The sanitary system was a hot topic at the time if you recall that the probity of the Emsworth oyster was being questioned following a number of food poisoning incidents. The outcome of this complaint is tucked away in the WUDC Minutes now stored in the bowels of the Hampshire Record Office, and can only be determined by legwork. Not everything can be resolved by the power of today’s search engines!

The property’s timeline is intersected by the family-lines of a number of long-lived Emsworth families, including Apps and Hedger. We have given here little of this. Time to write the book on this property, I feel.

1 Queen Street / 2 King Streeet