North Street House
North Street House, or No. 6, North Street is a Grade II Listed, early C19th building which currently functions as the Emsworth Surgery. That its address is “North St”, rather than the more logical “High St” (if visitor enquiries to the Museum are to be believed) is a result of the Emsworth relief road being routed slightly to the north of West Street thus consigning Nos 2,4, 6 North Street to the town centre and the additional premiums that can be charged on leases and rents.
It can be seen from the Tithe map of 1838 that the house had always occupied a large plot of land. After the First World War this had become an attractive garden that because of its common boundary with the Emsworth Cottage Hospital provided a pleasant walk to and from work for the then occupier of the house, Dr Glanville, in his role as Hon.Medical Officer, and subsequently, as Hon. Consulting Physician. In 1955 and in memory of Dr & Mrs LHS Glanville, much of the garden was presented to The Friends of Emsworth Hospitals (FEH, formed in 1949) to preserve this idyllic setting for the benefit of the Hospital patients and the wider Emsworth Community.
In 2008 FEH changed its designation to The Friends of Emsworth Community Health (FECH) with the imminent closure of the hospital, which eventually occurred in 2012. The garden had already been reduced in size in 1974 when the relief road was built through it. What remains of the garden is an oasis of serenity in the centre of busy surrounding development. Historically, North Street House, as a Doctor’s Surgery, has played an important part in many an Emsworthian’s life but the remains of its garden may yet have a bigger history ahead of it in the future planning for the development of the area in which it lies.
|1768||Parcel of ground, messuage & tenement, dwelling house & garden lately erected by Anthony Palmer. MCR, HRO|
|1769||Anthony Palmer, Barn & meadow now Mrs Lewington Quit Rent, HRO|
|1792||Anthony Palmer, coal merchant TD|
|1838||House yard and stable Owner: S.Lewington; Occ: Benj. Chase T436, HRO|
|1841||Benjamin Chase C|
|1851||Benjamin Chase C|
|1861||Benj. Chase, (the younger) C|
|1870||D.W. Stephens D|
|1884||Property bought by T.P. Stephens for £285. D|
|1891||Thomas P. Stephens, G.P. C|
|1901||Lockhart Stephens, Medical Practitioner C|
|1914||Dr L.S.H. Glanville, occupier RB|
|1917||Conveyance to L.P. Stephens: dwg.hse & Surgery & newly erected stable D|
|1928||Conveyance to Dr L.S.H. Glanville D|